Sporting Equals Insight team is a dedicated research function that includes over 20 years of experience in delivering high quality and perceptive information surrounding BME communities and race equality in sport. Sporting Equals Insight team has a proven track record of providing research across numerous sectors and areas including government, sporting institutions and the third sector.
Insight is an integral element of the Sporting Equals offer, and is the starting point when planning and designing all interventions and project based activity. The central aims of our research is to:
We believe that Insight is critical in helping to develop change, build an evidence base and support the sports and physical activity sectors to improve understanding around BME communities and enhance specialist knowledge of groups.
- Developing a broader understanding of BME communities in sport participation and physical activity.
- Contributing to the advancement of professional practice.
- Enhancing our reputation as an institute of excellence.
Sporting Equals has also worked in partnership with a number of different partner agencies to develop bespoke research projects. Current partners include:
Alongside research we have worked with partner agencies to produce toolkits and resources to help support staff and volunteers to build confidence in engaging diverse communities and deal with sensitive issues relating to race equality.
- Sport England, Sport Wales, Sport Scotland, Sport Northern Ireland
- National Governing Bodies of Sport
- UK Sport
- Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Youth Sports Trust
- Street Games
- Age UK
- Women's Sport & Fitness Foundation
- West Bromwich Albion Foundation
A good example of this work was the bespoke training model Sporting Equals developed for AgeUK which was rolled out nationally in 2011 and enabled Sporting Equals to engage with over 5,500 people allowing us to reach out to the most disadvantaged older BME communities in England. Our research and evaluation frameworks enabled us to work with 39 regional partners to demonstrate the sustained impact of this project.
Sporting Equals has strong partnership links with research departments in Leeds Metropolitan, Leicester, Loughborough and Brunel universities and has delivered research to inform Academics and the third sector. Sporting Equals also have access to up to 20,000 BME people online. Our online research is currently ongoing and will allow Sporting Equals to produce tailor made research for specific key target audiences.
Our research and information team:
Factsheets covering the six main religions and the issues for Sport:
- undertakes research independently and in partnership with other agencies
- provides quantitative and qualitative information
- analyses existing research from a black and minority ethnic perspective
- supports national research teams from a black and minority ethnic perspective
- collates, interprets and disseminates relevant research in useable formats
Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism
To access the above factsheets please contact Sporting Equals by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone: 0121 777 1375
Engaging faith communities in Sport
YMCA working with Diversity in the workforce
Systematic Literature Review